If you and the kids are ready to step up from this…
…then put that sidewalk chalk back in the bucket, and get ready to make some “Puffy Paint” instead.
The white coats in the chemistry lab at Valero took a moment from the world of molecules, to give us this recipe.
What You’ll Need:
- Food coloring (be bold!)
- Liquid dish soap (from under the kitchen sink)
- Mixing bowl
- Plastic squirt bottle
- A spatula or spoon
- Shaving cream
- White glue (like Elmer’s)
What You’ll Do:
- Combine the shaving cream and the glue (in the mixing bowl!). Do this to “taste” (aesthetic taste). Start with one cup of each and see how you like it; more shaving cream makes it fluffier/rubberier, more glue makes it denser.
- Add your pigment (aka food coloring) and a splash of dish soap.
- Stir well with your spatula or spoon (really well), and put it into the squirt bottle.
- And, squirt your masterpiece!
When you’ve gotten the hang of the mix, you can make as many colors as you like (or as many as you’ve got bottles of food coloring). And if you’d like to see how it’s all done, you can watch the video version here: Puffy Paint.